The hydroponics department need to be made much bigger
Created by: despotate
There's way too much shit that demands space in botany and way too little space supplied by the hydroponics rooms.
- The dozen tools (hoe, clippers, axe, analyzer, plant bags, wrench) that will inevitably make their way off your backpack and onto the floor because it's much faster and convenient to store them there since you can't keep your backpack open forever because you always need to open your plant bags too.
- The various bottles of robust, mutagen, radium, dieth, ammonia, left-4-zed, etc., that will also litter the floor because they either come in 10u bottles that you have to use a dozen of on all of your trays and can't be assed to collect all of them and throw into the disposals, or 30u bottles/50u beakers that never quite end up being fully used up and wait on the floor forever.
- The water tanks that are there solely for you to bump into and push onto a hydroponics tray just to be a pain in the ass that pulls attention from other things, and the water buckets that accompany them that will inevitably always be on the opposite corner of the room from where you are.
- Special snowflake growns like tower caps, grass, no-fruit, nettles, egg-plants, etc. that can't or shouldn't be put into a plant bag and end up littering the floor as a result.
- Solid final products you create like wood, plastic, uranium, etc., and while there's technically a table for these, we all know leaving that shit out in the open just results in the clown/greytiders stealing the entirety of your hard work and doing fuck all with it.
- Similarly, all the chemical pills, beakers, etc that are either being used to create the above intermediaries, haven't made their way to the fridge, or can't make their way to the fridge.
- Chickens laying their eggs all over the floor if you ever make the mistake of feeding them,
- Diona that don't take any ghosts in and die right next to your trays.
- Fellow botanists, arguably the worst offenders here, unless you have a good relationship with them they will only end up multiplying all of this other waste and will often cause conflicts. Though at least conflicts are fun.
- Fellow chefs, these are worse than botanists because if they ever poke their fucking nose into botany it's to destroy any semblance of organization you might've created by planting fucking white beets and cabbage and whatever shit into the trays that you'd reserved for something else, and harvesting all your other plants onto the floor like the filthy plant-bag-not-using animals that they are.
- The light pollution created by shitty bioluminescent plants that exist just to add a shitty filter to all of the above and strain your eyes. Okay, these don't take up space, but it definitely feels like they do if you ever make the mistake of planting them.
And all of the above is just regular ol', no-crates, no-nonsense hydroponics in the botanist position for the sole purpose of plant procreation. Just the above shit already needlessly strains your ability to be effective as a botanist. But, of course, you can order more shit that takes up space:
- Egg incubation machines, their crates, and their chickens and eggs that will block you from clicking on your trays and make your life hell if you if you're not always on help intent.
- Apiaries, their crates, and the bee accessories that have now doubled the amount of tools lying around on the floor.
- Chem dispensers brought by mechanics.
- Small farm animals and their crates.
- Large farm animals (crate gets disassembled).
- The half dozen exotic seeds crate you need to order to get any interesting results.
- Weed killer crates.
- Fambots; if you thought water tanks were bad, try giving them wheels.
- Vox seeds.
- Resupply packs if you accidentally used up all three seeds and their resultant growns.
As a reminder, here's what the box hydroponics looks like:
Mappers clearly don't play botanist ever because they must think that all botanists ever do is plant three wheat, two tomatoes, a corn, and suicide succumb. Where the fuck are the farm animal pens, for example? There's clearly something wrong with the map if Cargonia ends up growing farm animals far more often than botany ever does.
Ideas to resolve this (for box):
- Remove the wall between botany and xenobotany
- Remove the wall between xenobotany and the chef's backroom
- Push out into maintenance and/or the library
- Decrease the amount of hydroponics trays
- Add a lot more tables to put shit on
- Add livestock pens