Space Dietary Roadmap
Created by: Kurfursten
Recently there have been some calls for a deeper food system. It would work pretty nicely with PRs like #13978 (benefits of muscle mass), and #13993 (better speed system). In addition, if Economy ever happens (who knows?), it would be nice to have some reason to get one food over the next. I like simulationism, but I think we can all agree we don't want to add realistic amounts of each B vitamin to every grown object. So here's a prototype system design that simplifies nutrients to just a few I've been looking at, and some of the effects.
Nutriment as a reagent would be replaced with
- Protein: Comes from meat products. Raises cholesterol, governs body's natural regeneration from damage, improves Sport performance. Combines with Fiber to create Bulk in the body.
- Fiber: Comes from most grown products. Lowers cholesterol, governs body's blood regeneration rate. Creates a large amount of Fullness with little Carbs.
- Lactose: Comes from diary products. Governs bone break resistance and tooth-loss resistance, as well as fart regeneration.
- Starch: High level of carbohydrates and fullness. Lowers bloodsugar.
- Sugar: High level of carbohydrates but low fullness. Everything contributes to bloodsugar, but this raises it much faster.
High cholesterol causes heart damage. Low bloodsugar causes lethargy, high bloodsugar causes fullness to burn through more quickly. Bulk is turned into muscle mass with exercise. All of these reagents generate carbohydrates in some amount or another. Whether your body feels like it should eat is governed by fullness, but whether or not you are actually nourished (and thus get full speed) is ruled by your carbs.
Remember that cooked items inherit the reagents of their components, so for instance, a mushroom pizza would have fiber from the mushrooms, lactose from the cheese, and starch from the flour.
But wouldn't this make every round hellish as the chef keeps cooking fried eggs and refuses to cook veggies?
I would certainly find numbers that are agreeable for everyone. I promise no hypothermia-esque "bite one sausage, collapse from heart failure". Do remember that the pizzas from cargo do seem to have quite an excellent variety.
Would health analyzers get some kind of buff to help diagnose malnutrition?
Can I survive off vending machines still?
It's got beef jerky, ramen, and... cheesy honks are a vegetable, right?
Lemme know if you think it's worth pursuing, or overdesigned garbage.